Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Carving Capers!

In my enthusiasm to make a start on this crusade, I turned the studio upside down looking for my lino cutting tools - we've still got boxes that we're unpacking (nearly 5 months after moving in - you can't rush these things!)I didn't find the tools but I found some scraps of lino and decided to make a shadow stamp for my anatomy stamp - a la Michelle - I stamped the image onto the lino and cut it out using a scalpel. I inked it up, it looked ok, so I stamped it. Then I inked the head and stamped over the 'shadow', something just didn't look right. I sat and looked at the stamps and the stamped image. It took a little while for me to figure it out the 'shadow' is a mirror image of the stamp, so it has created a reverse image rather than a shadow. So while I'm back to square one, I do have a silhoutte of a head stamp!



I went into town this morning to try and buy a carving block, with no joy - This is the bit that I am finding difficult living in a small country town, 8 hours from the city - I guess I'm just going to have to order what I need online. Stay tuned for future progress.

6 comments:

michelle ward said...

Megan - if you trim the shadow stamp so it's exactly the shape of the head, can't you then turn the stamp over and use the other side? Thanks for sharing your mishap witht he team - something we can all learn from. I guess I should make a statement on my blog that you stamp the original image onto a paper, and the paper becomes the pattern for the shadow. Hope you can find a source for more rubber!

Julie said...

Megan thanks for sharing this. I can't wait to have a go but need to read loads first to make sure I have a good understanding of what to do. These experiences help! Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Anonymous said...

Like you, I live very rural, no know what you mean about online shopping being a necessity. Great shadow, even if it was kinda the wrong way round.

Loudlife said...

oh thank you! I always forget about that reversal thing. I can't tell you how many times I've had to re-do transfers and iron-ons!

Laurie

Ingrid Dijkers said...

OMG! How very frustrating! I wish you luck getting new materials to work with. In the meantime a very crude version could be made from cutting a kitchen sponge. Ya never know, sometimes wonderful things can develope from just making do with what you have on hand. Just a thought.
Best-
Ingrid

Anonymous said...

Hey Megan...still love the image you created. And like Michelle said, can't you just flip it over and ink the other side. Hope you can find more supplies cuz I am sure you will have tons of fun making more stamps.