Monday, March 07, 2005

On the 10th of February I went to the hospital for a routine check-up, although there was nothing routine about this day. On examination the doctor found that I was dilated to 1.3cmI had been contracting but they were still quite mild. I was admitted to hospital on strict bed rest and put on medication to curb the contractions.

I was 20 weeks and 5 days. We were told that what we needed was a miracle. The idea was to delay labour for 3-4 weeks, to give the baby the best possible chance of survival.

Things were going well until Thursday 17th of February, despite the medication the contractions became stronger and on examination I was 3-4 cm dilated. Labour could not be delayed and because the baby was under 23 weeks they would not offer any intervention.

At 7.58pm on Thursday 17th of February our son Alex Spencer Warren was stillborn. He weighed 445grams and was 29cm long. Below is a photo that was taken shortly after he was born.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their love, support & prayers during the pregnancy, my hospitalisation and after Alex's birth.

No comments: