Monday, December 09, 2002

I loved Christmas as a child – going into town to see the Christmas decorations and the window displays at Myer. Leaving biscuits and a can of beer out for Santa on Christmas Eve. Waking up too early and being sent back to bed. Opening presents, playing with toys, spending time with family and friends.

As I got older Christmas began to lose its sparkle. Then I had Troy – I had a child to share the magic of Christmas with.

Christmas is a family time; to spend with loved ones, to reflect on the year that has passed and to be thankful for what we have. It is also a time to remember those who are no longer with us. To ponder the memories we have.

So if I shed a tear this Christmas, or I get a little sad – I’m just remembering what may have been – the empty stockings on the mantle, empty chairs at the table and those who are no longer here to share the Christmas cheer.

No comments: